How to clean shrimp: a practical guide that will explain to you how to clean shrimp flawlessly. Advice on the most common varieties, from the classic king prawns to prawns.
THEshrimpthey manage to give thattouchof delicacy at any course. A simple salad of rocket, shrimp and Parmesan shavings can be considered a special course! Of all crustaceans, theshrimpit is probably the most appreciated but let's face it, not everyone knows how they cleanrisking making real messes in the kitchen.
What are theshrimp to eat raw?
All the shrimpthey can be eaten raw, but the most prized variety is undoubtedly that ofRed shrimp. The red prawns have a very particular flavor of the meat, among these, the most valuable come from the waters of Liguria or Sicily (the Mazara del Vallo area is popular precisely for itsred prawns!).
What is the difference between shrimp and shrimp?
Other varieties ofshrimpwidely used in the kitchen are theshrimp. What is the difference between shrimp and shrimp?The shrimp they are recognized by the presence of pink or gray streaks, have a slightly stockier body than the shrimp. They are widespread throughout the Mediterranean and are appreciated for the flavor of more delicate meats than shrimp.
Red shrimp, prawns and prawns. The prawn can measure up to 18 cm! They are caught in many locations around the globe. Those on our market generally come from Argentina and are sold frozen or thawed. They are well suited for grilling.
How to clean shrimp
Removed some curiosities about the differences betweenred prawns, prawns and prawns, we continue oncleaningof this crustacean. Here we finally come to the fateful question:how do you clean shrimp?
The shrimps are cleaned when they are still raw, the "external crust" (which is called the carapace) should be removed only when therecipeasks you to use shrimp pulp only. I'll start explaining to youhow to clean shrimpin a complete way, so as to obtain only the pulp.
- Remove the head from the body.
- Grab a flap of the carapace in correspondence "to the legs", remove it gently
- Continue to detach all the carapace up to the tail which, according to the recipe, you can keep or cut away
- With a thin-bladed knife, cut into the back of theshrimp, in this way you can eliminate the "black wire" ... to remove this component, use pliers or a toothpick, otherwise, if you try the feat with your hands, you risk breaking it and worsening the situation!
- Rinse the shrimp under running water.
And if you want insteadto make grilled shrimp?
In this case you will not have to detach the carapace and cleaning is easier. This shrimp cleaning system is useful for:
- Grilled shrimp
- Steamed shrimp
- Boil them
- Other recipes that involve the use of whole prawns
How are prawns cleaned?
- Shorten the antennas.
- Score the shrimp on the back with a pair of scissors and remove the black fillet.
Please note: you must not remove the head or the shell. For many types of cooking, the shell and the head are able to preserve the internal moisture of the pulp and, in addition, flavor the other ingredients of the recipe.
On the contrary, you can tooclean the shrimpremoving the carapace but leaving the pulp with the head and tail. Always remember to remove the black thread. This preparation is very ornamental and is widely used in the courses ofred shrimp sashimi(raw red prawns).
Shrimp broth: cartoon with scraps
We are a portalGreen, ecology is our motto and we invite you to produce as little waste as possible, starting with the kitchen! So what to do with shrimp scraps? Theshrimp heads, as well as carapaces and tails can be a valuable resource to preparefish broth, comic book or bisque. Know that the comic is widely used to flavor soba, for ramen soup or simply to prepare a fish soup as I explained to you in the article about gurnard fish, where I showed you how to get fish fillets and cook them in moist just with fish broth.
How to make the comic?
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan.
- Brown the shrimp heads, shells and tails with chopped vegetables (shallot or garlic, carrot and celery).
- Blend with a glass of dry wine.
- Pour a liter of water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Crush the shrimp heads and shells.
- Filter and use the comic bycooking soups, risottosor other fish-based dishes.